IT’S NOT RUINED, I PROMISE
I love the look of natural, jute rugs, and they are reasonably priced at IKEA, unless you have to keep replacing them, of course. For the most part, they are relatively easy to keep clean by vacuuming regularly. Pet owners, I am happy to say heavier stains don’t mean your rug is ruined.
If you’re gagging at the image of dark urine spots, hairballs, and squity sh*t and wondering why you would even want to keep it,
trust me; it is possible to remove the stain AND the stank!
Work quickly to avoid water stains and residual discoloration.
1. start by cleaning up the mess. If it’s only urine, you can (luckily) move straight to the next step
2. placing a few layers of paper towel under the affected area and using a plant spray bottle with only water, saturate the spot, so it penetrates through to the paper towel underneath
3. generously cover the area with baking soda and work it into the wet area
4. cover with another few layers of paper towel and place a heavy-weight object on top. You will need something large enough to cover the entire spot
5. leave for up to 72 hours to allow the baking soda and paper towel to absorb the odor, water, and whatever bodily fluids your pet deposited on the rug
6. once you’ve removed the weight and paper towel, all that’s left to do is vacuum up the baking soda