MUTT MARCH – A HUGE SUCCESS IN TWO PROVINCES
In our previous post, we introduced you to SOI DOG FOUNDATION, an incredible organization dedicated to caring for the street dogs and cats of Thailand, and persistently advocating for much-needed change to animal welfare legislation.
On June second, the Vancouver chapter of Soi Dog, Canada, held their very first Mutt March fundraiser, followed by the Ontario march, in Erindale Park, Mississauga. I am happy to report both events were hugely successful. The funds raised from Ontario’s walk nearing ten-thousand dollars! This money will help with the spay/neuter program at Soi Dog in Thailand, and a portion of the funds will assist the following initiatives:
- Alberta Spay and Neuter Task Force – Helping People, Helping Animals
- Northern Spay and Neuter Campaign in Ontario – Working with remote First Nation communities to assist with animal management and health issues
- The Canadian Animal Assistance Team in British Columbia – Help Give Them Access To The Care They Need
Close to eighty participants pre-registered for Ontario’s first-ever Mutt March, with more people registering on the day. Over one hundred people turned up to support Soi Dog; including, many Soi Dog rescues, and two partner rescues!
Even the weather cooperated; the sun shone the whole day. One of the event organizers, and Soi Dog volunteer, Sondra, agrees:
In all, we feel that for a first-time, it was a success. We hope people enjoyed themselves
Fun contests followed the walk, included:
- Best dressed dog
- Dog & owner look most alike
- Waggiest Tail
- Best Trick
Sponsors for the event included:
- Green Shift
- Canisource Gran Cru
- Pet Love4Charity
- Smith Werks
- RC Pets
- Island Veterinary Hospital
- Bonnie & Clyde Premium Pet Food
- Walks and Wags Pet First Aid
- Earth Rated
- Bosley’s, New Westminster
- The Kindergarten Class of Pineview Public School
these little kids raised almost five-hundred dollars, through their own initiative!
Sondra strongly agrees children will set the best example, and lead the rest of us to a more humane future for our animal companions. We need to educate young people first.
Vendors and exhibitors included:
- Pet Love 4 Charity
- The Bowtail
- Ren’s Pets
- Mobile Canine Care
- Barker and Snouts (doggie ice cream)
- Pets in Motion Chiropractic
- Party Painterz (face painters)
We are grateful to the City of Mississauga, our vendors, and exhibitors, Cindy Cherry our MC, and, of course, we appreciate the support, and efforts of our volunteers. Much appreciation to everyone who came out and participated, helping to make the day a success. A special thanks to my team lead, Bev Cartright; an outstanding volunteer, in so many ways
I had the privilege of speaking with several attendees, all of whom agreed it was a day of fun for people and pups!
Once again, I am grateful to share the incredible work done by this organization.
Thank you, Soi Dog team,
Soi Dog Canada is a not for profit corporation run entirely by volunteers.